Saturday, July 14, 2012

Woman vs Grill


Woman vs grill


Ya know how “one thing leads to another”?  That was exactly what happened one recent  Saturday afternoon.  I was sitting on the deck, eating my lunch “al fresco”  which seems to be my preferred choice for any meal or snack, and trying to read a book.  Trying is the operative word here.  I seem to be having trouble (mind and body) realizing that I now have ample time available to accomplish tasks as well as to just relax.  It’s a  process, a work in progress.  Anyway, after about 2 ½ pages my mind and eye started to wander.   The mind says, (silently believe or not), “wouldn’t it be nice to get out the hammock and just lay in it””   Then the mind starts to rationalize (is that like arguing with myself now?)  “Where would you put it?  (It hasn’t been out for more than 2 years, no time to lay in it!)  “Where did we put it before?”  The answer to that was, wherever we could stick it and as a consequence, I spent more time dragging it in and out of the sprinkler range or the rain than actually laying in it!  L  Ok, clearly, this “idea” had a hold of me but I needed a working plan.  Best place to put it (only place really) is where Jeff’s (huge!!!) grill is.  But, (the mind argues), “you can’t get rid of Jeff’s grill!!!”  NO!  But, I rationalize (or argue) back, “it is way to big for me.  It would take a half a bag of charcoal for what”,  Just to cook a hot dog or a piece of salmon!?!!?”   “Ok, but, I like grilled food! Yes, true.  But, you’ve never, not even once in your life grilled!”  (That was Jeff’s thing!)   Ok now, Chase would use the grill occasionally but really, realistically, not more than a few times a year, right?  (He agreed)  So, I could put his grill in the garage or shed, where we could still get to it reasonably easily when needed but it wouldn’t be taking up a whole corner of the deck.  I could hunt down the hammock, put it together and relax.  Or so the plan was.  I’m not so good at this relaxing business as it turns out! In fact, I think it’s entirely possible that I like planning on how and when to relax and getting ready for the “event” much more than I actually enjoy the   “event”, the relaxing itself.  I think I may be missing the point!?!  This whole discussion in my head also led to the realization that the compost bucket I was currently using was being somewhat camouflaged by the grill and it would just be ugly out there next to the hammock.  Yup, one thing definately lead to another. (smaller bucket hidden in a crock solved that problem but it took a couple of hours to solve and execute that plan!).

Next issue was then the issue of grilled food.  I like it.  I missed it.  Jeff always cooked it.  I wanted grilled food again.  Easy remedy, buy a small grill.  Yup, I can do this.  Everybody is marking there “summer” stuff down just in time for the heat wave of the century (or at least of the past several decades!) and, I had Coupons!  Seemed like the right time to me.  So the very next day I set off for Meijers, land of endless wonders.  I found, what looked to me, the perfect grill.  18” square and it would collapse on demand, folding up nicely to put in my deck box.  After texting a pic of it to Chase and getting his agreement, the perfect little grill was purchased.  Now, Chase did offer to come over the next day and assemble the little beauty but, liking to be independent whenever possible (some say stubborn) and impatient to boot, I thanked him and said I’d let him know how I did.

I got out my tool kit (yes, I have my own!) and carefully opened the grill box and laid things out on the deck.  I was very careful not to let anything fall through the deck cracks (always thinking ya know!).  I sorted everything out and opened the directions.  Seemed pretty straight forward; insert piece 11 into part 14 using screw “a” and wingnut “f”.  And so it went.  Me paging back and forth making sure I had the correct parts and pieces and nuts etc.  All was moving along quite nicely and I was feeling an early sense of pride and accomplishment.  I could smell lighter fluid already.  (I love the smell of lighter fluid and charcoal!)  So, “bowl” is together as is the lid.  Legs are each assembled and then assembled together.  Now is probably the time to explain that this grill works in much the same manner as the old style “TV trays”.  “Crossed” legs that collapse.  Think of the grill as the tray.  Now, this  is where the instructions tell me I must screw the “bowl” onto the hinges which are affixed to the legs.  The legs that collapse.  Yes, collapse!  Now is also where they should have told you that you needed 6 hands or 3 people!  (or maybe it should have said that on the box? As a warning maybe?  Or, at least a “heads up”!)  Anyway, despite me looking over my shoulder longingly,  a couple of times to see  if my neighbor was in his garden  (he wasn’t,  #*^X#@!)   I figured out that, I could brace the legs (did I mention that it  also has wheels?!?!) with both feet and the crossed portion of the legs with my knees.  I then had two hands left to hold the “bowl” and  screw the screw and wingnut into place while holding said screws and wingnuts with my lips.  Well, at least you can’t curse while holding screws and nuts with you lips! (not out loud anyway!)  Finally, that done, it was almost easy to finish attaching the lid to the hinges.  Success!  I had done it.  All by myself.  I owned this! And, I had no “extra parts” when I was done, always a good sign!  I was also dripping (I did mention the heat wave, right?) and starving. No, it wasn’t that much hard work, I just was too impatient to eat lunch before I started this “little” project and having also been in a hurry to get to the store, I skipped breakfastL  So, now it’s 3pm and I am hungry and hot and need faster food than I will get on a charcoal grill!  Using it would have to wait for another day!











Oh, and by the way, I did find the hammock and put it together myself as well.  And, I have even used it. TwiceJ



Today’s score:  Woman- 2, grill and hammock-0!





Note:  I have used the grill 3 times now (twice during above mentioned heat wave!) and all 3 times, I am proud to say, have been successful!  I think Jeff would be proudJ

Pizza Margherita:)




Grilled Caprese Chicken Breasts with pasta and corn:)


Third nights meal was the best but the pic failed to save:(   Cedar Plank salmon (caught by my dad!) and shrimp with grilled veggies.  So YUM!!!

2 comments:

  1. good for you, Brenda! I had no doubt when reading that you would get that grill together! :) It feels great, doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete