Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Happy Wanderer

     I'm a walker:)  I have always been.  I grew up in an area where, unless you lived miles from school, you walked.  I live smack in between my elementary school, middle school and high school.  I walked every day (unless the weather was horrible.  Like a raging thunderstorm, not just rain!) until I got a car in high school.  I don't remember ever minding the walk, even when we arrived at school with frozen hair and eyelashes!
   As an adult, I have always enjoyed walking for exercise and for pleasure.  It is like meditation for me.  I don't walk with my i pod.  I like feeling like I am immersed in the sounds of the wind, the waves, the birds etc.

I am lucky to live where I can head out the door with my walking companion and walk to any one of these places to explore.
Bear, my faithful walking companion!


     I live in an area where we have a wonderful bike/walking path system,  where I can walk to so many interesting places. 
   I can and do walk to and explore 2 different cemeteries. 

Beautiful morning:)














I have loved this since I was a child!


  Riley Trails is wonderful for walks.  
Great hiking


 I have recently discovered that I really enjoy "Off Road" hiking or "Trail Hiking"!  Riley Trails is just one of several great spots for this:)










                                     Keppel Forest  Park has been a long time favorite place of mine!

The Cabin

Pond complete with large croaking bullfrogs
     When the kids were little we would walk or bike there and have picnic lunches:)  It is where Chase did his Eagle Project. It has always been one of my "Peaceful Places."




     Kamp Kiwanis.  When I was a little girl and stayed with my gram we would walk through the woods to Kamp Kiwanis.  I camped there once when I was a Girl Scout.  The boys spent a lot of time there (as did we) for Boy Scouts.   It is nice to go back and walk there:)

With a short car ride, I can be at some great trails for walking and Bear is always up for a hike (where he is allowed).

 
    Always a pretty place to hike, any time of the year!  

 

I have become a huge fan of climbing and hiking at Mount Pisgah this year!  Such a beautiful place and always a great workout .  The views are constantly changing but always spectacular!

As we get closer and closer to winter, I keep thinking every walk or hike will be my last!  But, we have been Blessed with an amazing autumn and i keep getting in "1 more hike!"  Today, Drew met me out at Felt Mansion and Shore Acres Park where he loves to go Disc Golfing!   Jeff and I always loved it out there and even had an opportunity to tour the house when it was about 75% of the way through the renovations.  We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and the history!  The property has come a long way and is beautiful for hiking, golfing, exploring and picnicking!  Drew and Bear and I had a lovely time!

Drew was impressed with Bear's ability to trek through the woods and up and down the hills and dunes:)
                                                                                    
Lake Michigan

Happy Bear



And, Drew even got to show off his Disc Golfing skills to me, I am impressed!




   We certainly live in a beautiful area with no shortage of places to visit, explore, hike and enjoy!   I have a list of places I have yet to visit and explore and they are all with in 15-20 minutes of my house!  It doesn't get much better than that:)   

   And, as winter looms large and my hiking days would be winding down, I have decided that I would like to try snow shoeing.  This could open up a whole new world of opportunity and beautiful views!  

And, I will continue to 
Make every moment count!

Happy Trails 
and 
(((Hugs)))

Brenda


No comments:

Post a Comment