First, August 4 would have been Jeff's 52nd Birthday. I was not dreading the day, I just didn't know what to expect. I know what I have read and what I have been told but, everyone is different. Also, we experienced some "firsts" so soon (Father's Day and our Anniversary) that I think maybe that helped us some. The kids and I all worked and stayed busy during the day. For me, staying busy and having projects (there are many around here, especially in the summer!) helps! We had planned to get together in the evening after everyone was done working and celebrate Jeff. We ate cheesecake (always Jeff's choice for a Birthday cake!) and toasted Jeff's life and Heaven's gain!
We also spent some time reading "Jeff's Rocks". (Thank you to everyone who contributed a rock to the jar, it is truly one of my favorite things!
This pic was taken 2 years ago at Christmas, she was 87 1/2 and looked great!
This morning I was reading with my morning coffee on the back deck (and listening to the birds and the lake) and these words struck me: "The greatest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." That seems so appropriate! I am so grateful to Jeff and Gram for so much and so I (try) and move forward focusing on all that we had with them and all that we learned from them. They will always be in our hearts and the memories that we hold dear will always be a part of us!
And so, August 4th was a difficult day, for more reasons than I anticipated but not at the end of the day, surrounded by the kids and fur kids and grand doggies and kitties with Hillary acting as our photographer, and sharing memories and cheesecake and a toast to 2 very special people, I would say we all made it through as well as we could have "Making Every Moment Count!"
(((Hugs)))
Brenda


No comments:
Post a Comment