What this means is that, all manner of aircraft fly over my house quite frequently. I have, only on rare occasions, witnessed a Hot Air Balloon fly over, perhaps due to the density of the trees and the dunes being a bit prohibitive to an emergency landing if it became necessary? But, many other forms of aircraft are often overhead. The loud, often low flying helicopters send me running out onto the deck with a Prayer that it not be one searching the lake shore for a missing swimmer! Airplanes of all sizes fly over at varying altitudes, some so loud and frighteningly low, I believe they may use my driveway and a landing strip!
And so, as summer has gone by, I have seen the Ultralights fly over on numerous occasions and yes, always waved. And then, one night as one went overhead, an idea came to me and I couldn't shake it! The idea was that, I needed to go up. I needed to do this for Jeff. (Yes, I know what most of you are saying, I have heard it all!) I let the idea simmer for a few weeks. Wanted to make sure it wasn't just a passing thing I guess. But, the wish to fly only got stronger. Then, I worked up the courage to e mail Jerry! ( I was far more nervous asking for this huge favor than I was to actually fly!) I had been meaning to e mail him to thank him for his support and visits; Jeff mentioned several times how nice that was! And then I mentioned that I'd like to go up if he was willing to take me instead. Jerry e mailed back right away (tho I would not get it till 11 hours later when I returned from work) and said he "would be delighted!" Boy, was I excited! Before I could reply, I received another e mail from Jerry suggesting the following evening! Turns out, he was afraid I would change my mind or let someone talk me out of it! Yeah, that was not going to happen! Ok, this is really gonna happen! I was so exited the next day! It was a beautiful day and I couldn't wait:)
I met Jerry at the airport and realized I wasn't nervous at all. Still just excited! Several friends who knew I was going to do this expressed their opinions ranging from "you're crazy" to "you're brave". I questioned myself and my sanity and decided it was neither. Life is short. Have fun. Take some chances. But, be smart. I wore a seat belt and a helmet after all!
| Jerry and I before "helmet hair" |
| Jerry and I ready for takeoff |
| And, we're up! |
| I loved this photo of the sun, trees and lakes |
First, we went in search of my house. That was something Jeff really wanted to see,our house from the air. Well, let me say, that was not as easy as one may think! A house with a green roof nestled in the trees really hid well but, after missing it the first time by we did indeed find it:)
| Nestled in the woods:) |
| My house and my neighbors garden |
| That's me! And Jerry! :) |
I took my camera up but will admit that I couldn't tell if I was actually getting any good shots! I was often looking into the sun, we were going 50-70 miles and hour and I didn't have my "special glasses!" Fingers crossed! In the end, I only had to delete 1 pic.
| Heading south down the lake shore |
Flying over the water, at 70 mph according to Jerry, is amazing! As I looked out over the water I really didn't feel like we were going that fast ! And, then you look at the shore and you realize that you really are going that fast! The kids on the beach were all waving and I of course waved back:) Jerry "waved" too by dipping the wings:)
| Big Red |
Jerry took me on a tour of Holland from a whole new viewpoint! It was fun to pick out buildings and land marks.
| Lake Mac |
| Yacht Club |
| Kollen Park and Boatwerks restaurant |
| DeZwaan and Windmill Island |
One of my favorite shots for 2 reasons. First, flying east up 8th street was so much fun, identifying all the buildings and stores:) Second, quite accidentally, this shot really shows just how open and exposed you are when flying in an Ultra light! It really is incredible!
| 8th st flying east |
The whole experience was one I will never forget!!! I am so grateful that Jerry was so willing to do this for me and for Jeff! Initially, the idea came to me that I "had to do this for Jeff!" I even said to Chase, after it was over, that I hoped Jeff was with me somehow. We believe he was:) I was just a little bit closer to Jeff for a bit that evening. And in the end, I realized that I did it for me too. Something different. Something new. Moving forward. But still, with Jeff very much in my mind and heart:)
| Airport approach |
| Getting close, grass landing tonight:) |
| Just about... |
| Touchdown! |
Jerry said, "anytime you want to go again...," well, I plan to do just that! This will not be a "once in a lifetime" experience for me! It is a "must do again!" Thank You Jerry!!! Thank you for helping me "do this for Jeff!" Thank you for helping me "Make every (exciting) Moment Count!"
I'll leave you with one last pic. This one is not so great of the house, tho its there if you look closely! I love this one for what it says; "Experimental", LOL!
| Loved what this pic says! |
No comments:
Post a Comment