A room without books is like a body without a soul "
~Cicero
| My Reading Loft book shelves with Nick keeping my reading chair warm :) |
As we grow up and yes, older, some things change and some stay the same. Our tastes and likes and dislikes. What we enjoy doing and our hobbies. Take asparagus for instance, I really disliked it as a child but I love it now! Mushrooms however still remain a huge dislike. Reading and walking were 2 things I really liked as a kid and growing up and that has never changed!
One of my favorite memories of summers as a child was going to the library and joining the "Summer Reading Program!" Checking out stacks (literally!) of books and then encouraging the OCD in myself by reading series of books (in order of course!) and filling in the Reading program cards! Oh happy days :) I can still picture some of the summer themes. I can still picture the library as it was all those years ago. As an adult, reading (and walking) are still favorites pass times! The library even has an Adult Summer Reading Program which I participate in each year.
My reading materials and genres are wide and varied. I love the feel (and the smell) of actual books! The kids gave me a Nook Color for Christmas the year we got back from Ann Arbor after seeing how many books I was toting around with me! And now, I have the Kindle app on my tablet. So many ways to read! I can check out library books on my Nook with the push of a button and both the Nook and the Kindle offer thousands of free books and hundreds of discounted books ($2.99 and under) in addition to their regular selections! Oh, "So many books,so little time!"
I have been asked, believe it or not, to send my reading lists to others! (Yes, I keep a list, big surprise! ) I have emailed complete lists of authors and series to others many times. So often, someone will say to me, "I need a good book to read. What so you recommend?"
Well, at a family gathering at Christmas this year, a cousin mentioned to Bri and I that she had recently spent an hour in Barnes and Noble looking for a book and left empty handed. (!!!!!) Oh my goodness! If I (or Bri) spent an hour in B&N shopping for reading material, I'd be broke! She (my cousin) asked for a recommendation. Now, I had been flirting with the idea of "keeping track" of the books I read for a year. I also had realized that it would be so much easier if I had saved an e mail with the authors etc. so I wouldn't have to retype it every time someone wanted my list! I could just make any new additions and hit send. Right after this, another friend requested my list. And, as this all came together in my mind, it became clear (to me at least!). Add books to your blog. Initially I thought I'd would write about my reads quarterly. It has become obvious to me that I read way to many books to wait 3 months, it would be a very long blog post! Right now I have settled on every other month. (It may still be long but...)
A friend also started a book club based on a book called Read It and Eat. We choose a book each month (the book gives us 4 choices each month) and then read it. When we meet to discuss the book, we also cook recipes from the book and eat:) Food and books, yes please!
As we near the end of February, I am working on the first blog post on the books I have been reading. I will list the title and author and give the book up to 5 *s. I will write a brief description of the book in my words, my opinion. (not whats already on the back cover.) I will also note which book is our book club selection for that month. I should also explain that I have developed a habit of having several books going at once. I find this easy and interesting as long as the books are of different genres. For example, I can be reading a fictional book (or 2 if they are very different-say a mystery and a historical fiction), an autobiography, an inspirational book and then a book or two of the informational nature (usually one is on wine!).
| My night table filled with books and my Nook |
| Bedroom bookshelf |
Next week I will post January and February books. Until then, for all my book loving friends, Happy Reading!
(((Hugs)))
Brenda
OOOH!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to your reading list!
Oh Juliana, I can't count the number of hours we spent in Barnes and Noble talking about , well, everything! And of course, a lot of book talk :) You are most definitely one of my most book loving friends! Say hi to the library for me :)
Delete