Well, for all my bibliophile (one who loves to read, admire and collect books) friends, here is my book list for the first 2 months of 2013:
| Healing After Loss |
Ongoing throughout the year:
| Daily Guideposts 2103 |
| The Oxford Companion to Wine |
These are 3 of the Books that I read daily or nearly so. I have mentioned Healing After Loss before. It was given to me last August and is a quick "page a day" read. I read through it by the end of the year and highlighted many passages that struck me during those first 7 months. I am now re reading it, day by day and under lining those things that strike me this time around. Some of the things that resonate with me this time are different things and sometimes the same passage as before once again really strikes me. I am finding this very interesting!
I have been reading Daily Guideposts for many years. Again, it is a quick, "page a day" read with a reference to a Bible passage. I have always enjoyed these and Jeff gave me the upcoming years release every year for Christmas. This year, I purchased it myself but Jeff was very much in my thoughts as I did so!
The kids gave me this Oxford Companion to Wine and it is HUGE! It it the most comprehensive book on wine information I have seen and I refer to it often to learn or clarify something!
January:
One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner *****
Intriguing story of strangers on a
morning train who are all effected by an event and how this brings them
together and the friendships that are born out of the tragedy. I really loved this book! (Sorry, no pic)
A Gift of Hope by Danielle Steel ****
Danielle’s journey into the world of
the Homeless. Danielle received a
“message” after her son took his own life, to help the homeless. She never intended to write about this
journey, to call attention to herself and in fact, very few people actually
knew what she was up to. After 11 or 12
years, continuing on was no longer an option and it became clear to her that
writing about this problem could indeed bring to it the much needed attention
that could possibly be more helpful than not. You'll see a very different side of Danielle Steel and have a very unique window into the plight of the homeless if you read this book!
The Wild Vine by Todd Killman ****
An account of what many believe to
be the true American wine grape. Long
thought to be “extinct”, it was discovered and this is the the story of it’s history and
“re birth.” This book will be
interesting to those who love weird facts about history! For instance, Thomas Jefferson was a wine
aficionado. In his first term as the
President, he spent nearly a third of his $25,000 income on wine! Throughout his 8 years in the White House,
1801-1809, he purchased more than 20,000 bottles of wine!!! In fact, the most expensive bottle of wine ever
sold at auction was offered at Christie’s in London, on December 5, 1985. I read somewhere that 2 others bottles were
also auctioned off for record high prices.TJ also grew grapes and made wine
(though not good wine!). I loved the
historical detail in this book and the way it tied in to wine making and
vineyards today. I am currently
searching for a bottle of wine made from the Norton grape!
The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt
****
(Our January Book Club selection)
I enjoyed this book more than I
thought I would! Learning about her
early life and personal and sometimes quirky details of life in the White House
made this a very interesting read! I think I would have liked Eleanor; would have liked to be friends with her :)
Friends Forever by Danielle Steele ****
The story of 5 friends who meet on
the first day of kindergarten and the story follows them into adulthood. Naturally, being a DS book, there is tragedy
but also, naturally, being a DS book, there is a great lesson within the story.
Going In Circles by Pamela Ribon ****
A little slow at the beginning but
worth it by the end. A little sad at
times but overall funny. A story of
friendship and growth. Worth the read
for this paragraph on the last page:
“The rules
of the track work well for life. Roller
Derby is life in a tiny circle. You can only go forward, even if you find
yourself turned around, facing the wrong way. There’s speed,
unpredictability,and danger. You can’t
be sure what’s going to happen, you don’t always know when you’ll stop, and it
appears most people are out to get you. You will fall. You will get hurt. But you will get up again. Look, what’s the worst thing that could
happen? Anything that hurts eventually
heals. You get back up. You keep going. You get stronger. You get
better. Life goes on. That’s it.”
I thinks this sums it up
well!
The Shoemakers Wife by Adriana Trigianni *****
Another wonderful story by Adrianna,
she never disappoints! Adrianna weaves
together a story across generations and continents that kept me reading in
anticipation until the very end! The
kind of book you think about often even after its done and “wonder”, as if the
characters are real, how they are doing now!
V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton *****
I have been reading Sue Grafton’s
“Alphabet Series” from the beginning with
A is for Alibi. This series
features private investigator Kinsey
Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Sue is the daughter of detective novelist C. W. Grafton
and she herself has won many writing awards.
Tho not necessary to read from the beginning and in order, I would
recommend it. As with all the previous
books, I loved this one and got to the
point where I could not put it down, staying up to 1:30 am to finish it one
night recently! The only thing I don’t
like is that we are nearing the end of the alphabet and the series will end!
(Spoiler
alert! I have read that the final book
will be titled Z is for Zero!)
The Love Letter by Cathleen Schline ***
(Our February Book Club selection)
Well, after
our January selection of an Autobiography, (Which I loved!), most of us wanted
a different genre for Feb. The Love
Letter sounded like a wonderful, mysterious, love story. In the end, I found the book a bit “choppy”,
almost as if the characters (or the author) would lose their train of thought
and then suddenly remember it again. It
just didn’t seem to flow all that well. I’m not exactly sure what the message
here was. Follow your heart? Love is not always conventional, and that’s
ok? It was an interesting story but not
the best book I’ve ever read.
(Sorry, no pic. I keep lending out my copy!)
The Stupidest Angel
A Free Nook
Book selection. Let me just say now, I
have downloaded many Free Nook Books and all have been good and a few were
remarkably wonderful! Not this one. The description I read before downloading
made it sound funny, sweet and uplifting and a bit off the wall. Well, I'll give if off the wall!
The book should have been titled, “The Stupidest Book”! I did not forget to give it any ***s, it doesn’t
deserve any :(
Wine For Dummies *****
Don’t
laugh! The “Dummies” books are easy to
read, full of factual and interesting information and written with a sense of
humor. They teach without taking
themselves too seriously! My book is
highlighted and underlined with many page corners turned over. Loved it!
February:
Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge ** 1/2
I had expressed and interest in reading my daughters copy (hers was a gift) when she was done as I thought it sounded intriguing. I was then given this book (by the person who gave Bri her copy) and it was a kind, thoughtful, spontaneous gesture that touched me! I hesitate to say too much about this book at this time because I believe that each person may get out the the book exactly what they need to at the time they are reading it. I guess I will just say that I do not believe that "my feminine heart" needs healing. I do not feel "broken". I am happy content and fulfilled on most days. I am realistic. I did enjoy some of the "stories" and "got" what they were saying. I like parts of the book and even agree with some things but overall, certainly not the majority. A friend and I are talking about having a "special edition" meeting of our book club this summer to have a discussion on this book. (yes, we will have food; Angel Food and Devil's Food cake for sure!) She will be reading it soon. Bri is reading it. I will be lending mine to another friend. We should have a lively and interesting discussion about this book and I am looking forward to that! Perhaps I will see it in a different light after hearing others interpretations and thoughts! I would love to hear from anyone else who has read this. Share your thoughts with me. And, if you'd like to be included in the meeting this summer, please let me know!
An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor *****
As the title
suggests, the story takes place in a quaint Irish country village with small
town characters of the both charming and
annoying variety as is often the case, especially in a small country
village. To me this book, setting and
characters are very reminiscent of Jan Karons Mitford series featuring Father
Tim and a small town with it’s own host of characters. I loved the Mitford series and lets face it,
most of us who have read the series have at one time or another, been known to
say “I want to live in Mitford!” This
book was given to me and I realized, after starting it, that it was the 2nd
book in a series that currently numbers 6 or so, the rest of which are now on hold at the library
J
Just a happy, feel good read!
The Last Noel by
Malone ****
A free Nook
Book that was enjoyable beginning to end.
The story follows Noelle and Kaye form their shared 7th
Birthdays trough their adult lives.
Living very different lives due to the era they were growing up in,
and yet always coming back to their friendship.
The ending was a bit sad but not so much to take away from the story of
friendship itself.
The Sins of the Mother by Danielle Steel ****
Considerably
less drama, torment and death than she often incorporates in her writing made
this an easy and enjoyable read. A
little slow to start for me but got more captivating as I read. A very sweet, happy ending.
I’ve Got Your Number By Sophia Kinsella ****
Funny,
quirky and sweet. A quick read that
keeps you moving through the book. Kinsells is known for her Shopaholic series and has a wonderful sense of humor that comes through in her books! (Checked out from the library on my Nook.)
An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor *****
The first in
the series, I’ve gone back to the beginning after loving the first book I read
which was the second in the series. This
book continued to convince me, just as the previous one did, that I really
enjoy this series!
An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor *****
Yes, my OCD
is kicking back in as I continue to make my way through this charming series of
books!
Well friends, that is it I think for January and February. (I may have forgotten a book or 2 as I get used to remembering to photograph and make notes on each book as I read them!) As you can see, this a an eclectic list of books but I like a bit of everything! I am already nearly finished with my first book for March and am having fun with this new "project!" I have always enjoyed books and reading and talking about them with others. I am really enjoying our book club discussions and I look forward to hearing from you to hear your opinion on any of these books and any possible suggestions from you to add to my "to read list" (which is very lengthy)! Happy reading!
(((hugs)))
Brenda
I loved one moment one morning-- I could read it again!!! :) I copied a few down the rest I read!!! LMAO
ReplyDeleteWell, we often think alike and have similar taste! I keep re pinning books you pin too so...Thanks :)
Delete