July August Books
The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere **** 1/2
As the Author of The Christmas Shoes and many other beloved and popular books, Donna once again tells a touching and compelling story that will stay with the reader a very long time! Set in Tennessee in1950, Ivorie, a 30ish something "Old Maid" deals with her feelings of loss and being alone after her mother dies. Wondering what her direction will be, she finally encounters the "thief" who is raiding her garden in the night. When she discovers the "thief" is a semi starved, severely beaten young boy who can't speak, she offer him food and friendship. When the boy does not return for several days, Ivorie takes it upon herself to find him, not really knowing why or having a plan. When she does, at great risk of danger to herself, she decides to take the unconscious boy to her home and raise him herself if he survives. A wonderful story, well written and very touching!
Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes *** 1/2
Marian Keyes is one of our Book Club authors. I have read several of her books and am still trying to figure out how well I like her writing. This book tells the story of 3 long time friends and their life and dating trials. When one of them is diagnosed with cancer, another poses the question to the others; "just imagine you only have 6 months to live..."
The sick friend is trying to get the other 2 to each make a change in their lives. They do, though at first, very much against their will. The premise a good one and the story ended nicely but I'm not sure that I love this book as much as I could have. I have another of her books so, I will see how I feel about that one...
A Charmed Place by Antoinette Stockenberg *** 1/2
Ok, I am into a stack of books that had been given to me over time and am now making my way through some of them. I expected this to be a fluffy romance without much substance but, I was wrong. It is actually a story of love come full circle with a side serving a mystery. I enjoyed this book, more than I thought I would!
A Family All Her Own by Bonnie K. Winn ***
Another book from the "kindness grab bag." This was a sweet story of love, hope and faith.
The Week Before the Wedding by Beth Kendrick ***
Lent to me by a friend, an entertaining, fun and funny, fast read. No great lessons here but hey, sometimes, summer especially it seems, you just need a "no brainer" book!
Ciao America by Beppe Severgnini **** 1/2
Our July book club selection. A somewhat satirical look at America through the eyes of an Italian spending 1 year here. Very funny! Very honest! It made me look at things through his eyes. And, I could agree with much of it! Beppe even references another one of my favorite authors, Bill Bryson. I loved that! Written with a chapter fore each of the 12 months Beppe spent in America, this is a fun book to read and written in a style that I enjoy. Can't wait to see what everyone else in book club thought of it!
The Wanderer by Robyn Carr *** 1/2
I have read countless books by Robyn including all of another on going series. This is the first book in her new series, Thunder Point. Robyn is a much loved, iconic writer who once again manages to weave new characters together in a way that will have you wondering about them in between books in the series. Combining a bit of a mystery with romance (of course) and a few brief but steamy (here's your warning!) parts, this was a good summer read :)
The Two Week Wait by Sarah Rayner
Another powerful book written by the author of another favorite of mine, "One Moment, One Morning!" In The Two Week Wait, many characters return with the focus this time on Lou and her story. A wonderfully written story seamlessly weaving together old and new characters while telling a moving story! I fervently hope that Sarah is planning to continue writing about these characters that I feel have become fascinating "Friends!"
First Sight by Danielle Steel *** 1/2
Often DS books pull me in from the very first page. This one did not. It did finish as usual, couldn't put it down. As is typical with many of her books; this would be my summary:
Beautiful, successful women triumphs despite many tragic life events since the age of 5. Woman meets love of her life. More tragic events follow. Twist of fate. Lives happily ever after. Yup, that could sum up many of her books. Don't get me wrong, DS writes good books and I can't stop reading each and every new one she comes out with; this one just did not seem very different than so many others.
Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr ****
Robyn Carr is a well respected, award winning author! I got into Robyn Carr's series, Virgin River, when given several books as we were leaving for Ann Arbor. I quickly became hooked. She writes feel good, slightly suspenseful novels about good people and small towns supporting one another. I enjoy enjoy her books and characters :)
Saugatuck's Big Pavillon & Buried Singapore by Kit Lane ***
Lent to me by a friend who knows I enjoy books on local history :) I really enjoyed parts of each of the books though I didn't love everything about them. Perhaps if I had grown up closer to the area being written about, or lived there a long time I would have felt a closer connection? However, I still enjoyed each book and found each had merit.
The Recipe Club by ****
Lent to my by a friend who read it and still had time on her library check out :) We both love books and reading and recipes and cooking so...yes, we would love this book! A story following 2 life long friends who write letters to each other in their youth and, after a falling out and long estrangement, come back together via e mail. Reading their correspondence from young girls through teenage hood and some college and then as adults with real life issues and lessons is a fascinating journey to travel. I alternately took Lilly's side and then Val's. Going back and forth throughout the book. Val seemed destined to be immature and hang on to every last bit of youth she could and Lilly seemed in such a hurry to grow up! My mid college I sensed a change and by their adult years it seemed that a role reversal of sorts had taken place. In the end, they had both come to a good place in their relationship which also packs a (tiny) twist and surprise.
The Merlot Murders by Ellen Crosby ****
This is the first in the series that I has been reading. Unable to get this book yet from the library, I finally splurged and spent the few dollars it cost to get it on Kindle. I was a bit concerned about going back to the first book in the series when having read all of the following books. I need not have worried. I enjoyed this book as much as the rest. Even though I had pretty much figured most of the back ground out in the books I have read, it was nice to read it and as usual, this book contained some of the geeky wine facts I enjoy!
Summer Sisters by Judy Blume**** 1/2
Classic Judy Blume! Lent to me by a friend, I really enjoyed this book. Following friends from childhood well into adulthood and the and all twists and turns that accompany growing up and "coming into your own."
Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers ****
Written in 1937 and part of a series, this was our August book club selection. I really enjoyed this book, especially the style of writing and the way they expressed themselves in that era. I found the 2 main characters amusing and humorous; I think I would have liked them and have been friends with them! A bit slow to start, for me anyway, I soon became immersed in the story which I thought was well written. I may just have to pick up another in the series and see if I can continue this new friendship!
With a Little Luck by Caprice Crane ****
I have read several books by Caprice Crane (Love the name!) and have several more on my "Read It" list. I always enjoy her writing style and quirky sense of humor. She just writes "fun" books. No big life lessons, no profound insights, just laugh our loud dun books. Sometimes I just need that!
When the Rivers Ran Red By Vivienne Sosnowski *** 1/2
An interesting book about the time leading up to, through and the end of prohibition. This book tells the story of many families and what they lost or how they survived. It tells a tale of corrupt enforcement officials and families will to break the law in order to survive . It tell us the history. Sometimes getting a bit to caught up in dates etc., even for me, I still found it an interesting account of a era in our history that many of us have heard about but didn't know that much about.
Summer has been busy for me! I have worked all but one Saturday and spend much time outside gardening and working in the yard. I still managed to read quite a bit but not quite as much as usual. Cooler weather is coming but until then, I will continue to enjoy my yard as much as possible and when I finish the yard work, I will sit on my deck and enjoy a good book and a nice glass of wine :)
Happy Reading!
(((Hugs)))
Brenda
No comments:
Post a Comment