Thursday, July 4, 2013
May June books
Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin ****
I started the month of May with something kind of silly and fun. A friend told me to read this (and the 2 that follow it) and since we have very similar tastes in books I took her advice :) The book isn't all silly, it does, lightly explore the value of friendship and how long time friendships can change over time. I like the touch of "karma" in this book and that the "Good girl" (or at least the less evil one, by far!) "wins" in the end. I'm sure the next in the series (which I currently have from the library) will shed more light on the relationships as they continue to evolve.
Something Blue by Emily Giffin ****
This book puts the focus on the other main character and gives us an interesting perspective. I still didn't love her for a good share of the book and felt she "got what she deserved" to some extent however, I did find myself starting to like a more as the book went on. (or dis like her less?) By the end of the book, her evolution and why and how it came about made me like her a lot more. At the very end, everyone was behaving in a grown up mature manner and all had "kissed and made up!" Again, nothing really deep in these books but, we all (at least I do!) need a quick, light, fun, silly read among the heavier deep books! Mix it up...
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith *****
A well written, very enjoyable book!!! Set in the early 1900's at the beginning and ending in 1919, the story is one of family and also a bit of history. Of perseverance and hope in the face of adversity. Francie, the main character, quickly became a favorite fictional character of mine! (Perhaps for her love of books!) In fact, now that the book is finished, I find my mind going back and wondering how Francie is doing. What Francie is doing! Yes, that's the mark of a great book! Do yourself a favor and read this one!
The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs *****
WOW! I loved this book! Part historical fiction. Part romance. Part mystery. Part cookbook (it has recipes!) And all set int a small town in the Sonoma Valley. An apple orchard with the small vineyard next door owned my the nice, kind and very "hot" neighbor who makes his own wines. Susan Wiggs weaves together a beautiful story and has created wonderful characters. The only way this book could have been any better was if it had come with one of the lovely salads and a bottle of wine so often talked about within its pages!
Body Surfing by Anita Shreve **** 1/2
A novel of family and marriage. Love and loss. Relationships. Trust and mistrust. Well written, as I would expect no less from Shreve. A bit sad with and overtone of hope. Real.
The Flying Farm Boy (A Michigan Memoir) by Daniel Boerman **** 1/2
I always enjoy a book written by someone local and about places local! Just fun, interesting stories about growing up near Holland. A lifestyle from days gone by so different from today but many of the emotional trials of growing up haven't changed all that much. I originally purchased this book on a whim, for one of Jeff's fellow "roomies" at the Inn at Freedom Village. I had stopped to buy birdseed one morning and there had been a display of this book on the counter. There was one left. While waiting in line, I picked up the book, read the back cover and put it back. Then, I was struck by the thought that Stanley would really enjoy this book! I bought it and went back to the Inn where I gave him the book. Stanley was an avid reader and he read this book in no time at all. He mentioned several times how much he enjoyed it and how he knew several people or names in the book. When he finished, he really wanted to give the book back to me saying, he wanted me to read it and then we could have a discussion about it. Well, sadly, I never got to the book as Jeff passed away soon after that and then, just a few weeks later, so did Stanley. I rather forgot about the book until recently but having read it now, I must say I really enjoyed it! Stanley, this one was for you!
Lost In Suburbia by Tracy Beckerman ****
Subtitles; A Momior, How I got pregnant,Lost myself and Got my cool back in the New Jersey Suburbs. If the authors name or the title sounds familiar, it just may be that you have read something of hers. Or, at least seen it in a newspaper. Tracy writes a syndicated column that appears in our local paper and it is always good for a laugh! When I heard she wrote a book, well, I knew I had to read it! Believe me, it is FUNNY! It is also honest and real and insightful but Tracy has a way of seeing everything with a dash of humor and really, isn't life just a bit easier if you can laugh and smile!?
Take 2 by Leeza Gibbons ****
Subtitled "Your guide to happy endings and New beginnings." I saw an interview with Leeza and have always enjoyed her combination wit and wisdom. They also discussed this book and it sounded like a book I would possibly glean some helpful information from so of course I immediately put a hold on it at the library. On the back cover, the first lines starts "Life changes on the way to happily ever after..." Yes, it did. I enjoyed this book and Leeza really does have great insight and advise. A number of things she wrote are things I do or have said. She presented some new ideas to me that I'd like to put in play as well. Overall, this book will not, in it's entirety, appeal to any one person or situation but, I believe many of us can take away from it, the parts and pieces that will work for each of us.
Wedding Night by Sophia Kinsella *** 1/2
A funny story about an anticipated engagement that didn't happen and the unexpected engagement that did happen and what follows. Family and friends involved, plotting, impulsive behaviour, and crazy antics. The story was good, not great but, Kinsella is always a fun author to read.
Dead, White and Blue by Carolyn Hart ****
Mystery series set on a southern US island, accessible only by a ferry. Annie and Max Darling are, well, a darling couple :) Annie owns a book store called Death On Demand which sell only mysteries. It also has a coffee bar in the store :) Just a fun, slightly suspenseful read with interesting and quirky characters. Another series that I have been reading for years and always need to read the latest just to see what is happening on the fictional island of Browards Rock.
Until the End of Time by Danielle Steel **** 1/2
A story of 2 couples, decades apart and eternal love. I loved the story of each couple and the thought behind this book! So very well written and the story so very well told. Interesting and thought provoking!
Fly Away by Kristin Hannah*****
A story of Life, love, loss and lessons learned. Forgiveness and second chances. Touching, real, heartfelt. I love anything Kristin Hannah writes and this book was as good as any she has written. Read Kristin Hannah, her stories will touch your heart!
Diary of a Mad Bride by Laura Wolf *** 1/2
Our June book club selection, all of our choices were bride/wedding choices. This was a very quick and funny book written in a "diary" style. A day by day insight into the planning and resulting stress that occurs. No deep meaning here but it did make me laugh :)
Paint Chips by Susie Finkbeiner *****
WOW! One of the best books I have read (and I obviously read a lot!) ! A fictionalized story of a very real problem, human trafficking. This story alternates between a mother and a daughter, the past and the present. Woven together loosely at first, with the story coming together more and more closely with each chapter until you reach the most wonderful end to this story! So very well written! Hard to read at times because you know these things really happen to women, girls, every day! So full of hope and inspiration! A must read!
The Chardonnay Charade by Ellen Crosby ****
Yes, the title (of this and the others in this series) grabbed my attention, I admit it! The story was fairly well written and was interesting but I did give it an extra 1/2 star (would have been 3 1/2) because I really enjoyed reading about the industry itself. The planting, growing, blending, etc. For me, it was as interesting for those details that were included through out the book as it was for the actual story! There are 6 in the series and I have 5 of them checked out of the library so...I liked it well enough that I will continue with the series :)
The Bordeaux Betrayal By Ellen Crosby ****
The third in the series (second for me to have read) and I am really starting to enjoy this series! I am not sure if the writing is getting better or if I am just getting to "know" her writing better. Again, a good mystery without being gruesome and a lot of fun and interesting wine facts. On to the next one :)
Riesling Retribution by Ellen Crosby ****
Really into this series now! Either the author's finding her groove, the (longer) story is really coming together , or I am really "making friends" with the characters by this point. Probably all of the above. In any case, this was my favorite in the series so far!
TheViognier Vendetta by Ellen Crosby ****
This book takes place in Washington DC and I loved reading about some of the landmarks. Once again I enjoyed seeing how Ellen is weaving her stories together while sprinkling them with interesting (to me at least) wine and wine making facts! I am now on to the last one I was able to borrow from the library; I may have to "borrow" the newest book in the series from Amazon for my Kindle next!
The Sauvignon Secrect by Ellen Crosby
Another good edition to this ongoing story. The next one is Ellen's newest book in the series and it's not available at the library yet :( May have to borrow it for the Kindle!
Yes, I know! I get caught up in series. It's to OCD in me :) I love reading on my deck this time of year and I'd love to write more but, so many books are waiting for my attention!
"So many books, so little time!"
Happy Reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have wondered if you'd read the Ellen Crosby series. Have sold this set a few times. Didn't know before that you liked mysteries though. Now I do. :)
ReplyDelete