Wednesday, January 1, 2014

November and December Books


  Well, I have reached the end of my year of blogging about books!  As you can see, I love to read!  And, I like all kinds of books :)   Our book club has been so much fun, great group of friends, fun books & wonderful food!  In total, I read (I may have forgot a couple but, this is close) 113 books this year.  Moving forward now, in 2014, I will be "pinning" all the book I read onto a new Pinterest board called 2014 books read.  That will be a little less time consuming than writing a blog.  Any of you on Pinterest who wish to follow my progress this year are welcome!  


   This saying is so true!  I always remember having books.  Going to the Dime store and being allowed to get a book each time.  Going to the library and carrying home tall stacks of books!  Yes, I am in love with books. With reading!

Here are the books I read in November and December:

Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky **** 1/2

   A beautiful story of lifelong friendship and relationships.  Tragedy (of the man made kind) and the eventual good that came as a direst result many years later.  A story about forgiveness, bravery, and hope.  I really enjoyed this one!



Candlelight Christmas by Susan Wiggs ****

    My first Christmas book of the year and it was a good one!  This is part of the Lakeshore Chronicles series which I have been reading for several years.  It is nice to visit once again with old and familiar characters as well as meet new ones.  This is a very sweet story of family and blended families. Of Santa and the spirit of Christmas and believing. And of love.  I teared up just a tiny bit at the end because it was so sweet!




Winners by Danielle Steel **** 1/2

   An amazing story of strength, perseverance, character, hope, love and more.  Several life changing events for several people, brought together in the midst of it all and what it takes for them to stay positive and not only survive but thrive!  To be a winner!  A really great story!



The Vineyard by Barbara Delisnky **** 1/2

   Combine an author I really enjoy with a subject I love and the book is bound to be a hit with me!  I've read Barbara Delinsky for years and of course I love the subject matter and setting in this book. Barbara tells a story of family (and the lack of) with a bit of the family history and a love story or two while (for me  at least) interspersing interesting facts about the day to day operations of a vineyard.  I really enjoyed this book!


The Hens of the Baskervilles by Donna Andrews *** 1/2

   Yes, another mystery, another series I have been reading for quite a while.  This was a fun one set at a fair and the mystery involved the poultry tent  (my moms family had a poultry farm) and the wine tent (Virginia is BIG wine country and theses books take place in Virginia plus, I may enjoy the occasional glass myself!) so, I feel I once again learned a few things from a fictional novel :)  A "just for fun" book.  Now, on the the Christmas one...Tis the season!




A Seaside Christmas by Sheryl Woods ****

   Yes, I am one of those people who reads Christmas novels at Christmas time :)  This one is part of a series that I have been reading so I needed the latest installment as well as a "feel good Holiday fix!"  More to come, lol!








Silent Spring by Rachel Carson ***

   Our November book club selection.  Written in 1962 and detailing the devastating and far reaching effects of chemical spraying including DDT.  A sometimes almost too detailed account, it is none the less, interesting and disturbing and begs the question; "have we learned a lesson?"



Through The Grinder by Cleo Coyle ****

   From the series, Coffee house mysteries,  another well written and intriguing mystery including much to learn about coffee and some good recipes!



Duck The Halls by Donna Andrews

   And another Christmas book :)  Yes, I am one of those people.  Once a year I read all the Christmas additions to all the series I read and a few that are not part of a series.  Love it!






Death of a Snob by M.C. Beaton ****

   A quick, fun read!  A mystery set on an island and one in a series.  I may just have to look into some of the others!



On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle ****

    Working my way through this series and enjoying each one!  Well written stories, fun recipes :)






Sand Castle Bay by Sherryl Woods ****

   A sweet story about what is important in life.  Best quote from the book...
 "Life is always easier when it's smooth sailing, but these waves are what keeps it interesting. They make us stronger and help us figure out what's really worthwhile." 



Beautiful Day by Erin Hilderbrand****

   This story takes place over several days leading up to and including the wedding.  Lots of family and extended family dynamics going on in this book!






Damn You Auto Correct by Jillian Madison **** 1/2

   If you need a laugh, this is the book!  Oh my, really did "Laugh Out Loud" over many of these texts!  Read this one :) 







Sonoma Rose by Jennifer Chiverini **** 1/2

   Family, friendship, relationships, trust, loyalty, fear.  Many elements in this book.  Combined with a vineyard and wine making and prohibition.  This book has so much going on in it!   The prohibition facts in this book are accurate and the story is told well!  On top of all of that, it also tells the story of several children in the family with a "mysterious" illness that is killing them.  The illness is diagnosed as Celiac's disease (yes, it can cause death, even in this age of modern medicine and knowledge!).   I loved all the dynamics in this book and was kept on the edge of my seat wanting to find out what happened next!  Thank you Julianna for recommending it to me!




W is for Water by Sue Grafton **** 1/2

    I have been reading this series from the beginning; A is for Alibi.  I have watched to writing style progress along with the main character, Kinsey. I have so enjoyed this series and am a bit sad that we are nearing the end, I'll miss Kinsey and her capers!  This is a well written series, each book well connected to the previous stories (though you could pick up any one and read it without being "lost"!)  This book in particular was one of my favorite so far!




Patch Adams Gesundheit by Patch Adams with Maureen Mylander ****

   Our January book club selection, what a great, uplifting story!  And, true :)  I can't wait to watch the movie. I can't wait to discuss it at book club.  What a unique concept and vision Patch has for our health care system.  If only this could happen, maybe someday?




Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton **** 1/2

    Wow,  What a gift!  After recently feeling a bit sad by the fact that I was reading W is for Wasted and realizing how near we all have come to the end of an amazing series of books, this book felt like a gift!  Actually, like a bunch of small gifts, very prettily wrapped up and waiting under the tree :)  In Kinsey and me, we get a glimpse into the incarnation of Kinsey.  How she was named, why she is like she is etc.  I loved this! A series of the original short stories where Kinsey was "born."  My only regret is, that if I now then what I know now, I would have started near the end of the book with the Kit stories which are a bit of a peak into Sue Grafton's (earlier) life and ended with the beginning which is made up of her very first Kinsey short stories!  Perhaps I just feel as though I know Kinsey better and therefore there were easier to identify with whereas Kit was a new character to me?  The Kinsey stories made me feel happy, they were well written and wonderful. The Kit stories made me feel sad but that may have been because Sue herself may have felt sad writing them.  You be the judge but, if you are a Kinsey fan or a Sue Grafton/Alphabet Mystery series fan, do not miss this book! 




The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs ****

   A sweet and touching book of the journey of parenthood, motherhood to be specific. About raising our children only to let them go. In the end, the journey is about so much more than that!  This book seemed familiar as I read it and I wonder now if I have read it before or just one similar?  I like Susan Wiggs and have read many books written y he but, this one was not on my "read list". Either way, I enjoyed it and am glad to have read or re read it!





Just One Of the Guys by Kristan Higgins ****

   A funny and sweet story of a girl in a family of guys. A family of firefighters and "heroes."  A family that includes a longtime friend who has become like one of the siblings. Almost.  Fun and funny, enjoyable!

 
                                                           



                                                          This too is so true!


   Thank you for following me as I write and as I read!  May 2014 be a wonderful year for each and every one of you!  And, for my fellow bibliophile friends, may 2014 be filled with many great books!

Make Every moment count!

(((Hugs)))
  Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment