Thursday, July 14, 2016

Community Project




When a project for the community turns into a community project:







   I have been a lifelong bibliophile.  Books make me happy.  They make me smile.  They can teach, transport, transform, inspire, inform, heal, distract, and more!  Books are magical!





   I became enamored with the Little Free Library concept as soon as I learned of it.  I wanted one.  Instead, I visited them.  Increasingly so over the last year and a half.  I have even been known to post pics of them of FB.    About  a  year and a half ago ago I posted a picture of a LFL and commented that I really wanted to build one!  A friend in the Park Township office then commented saying she/they would love one at the Township office and Community Garden area.  I responded saying that “If I ever got around to building one, I will build two.)
   Time passed.  Life was busy. And  apparently I was waiting for the right moment, the right reason, the right inspiration.
   And then one day, sweeping the garage, I looked up and was staring at my inspiration.
You see, it was always Jeff’s dream  to build a log house.  We did.  And Jeff was an amazing and talented wood crafter!  He built and crafted many beautiful pieces from small to large.  From simple designs to very detailed.  I have pieces in nearly every room of the house!  Shelves, a bakers rack, a full size grandmother clock and a miniature grandfather clock, a quilt rack, bench, rocking horse and on and on.  We have a full wood shop which the kids and I often  utilize  thanks to Jeff’s love of woodworking!  

 
One view of part  of the wood shop that Jeff put together


   And I was staring upwards to the attic seeing a stack of extra ½ log siding pieces.  Suddenly, like a bolt, I had the design concept for a Little Free Library.  Or 2!  I knew we also had extra shingles for re doing the roof a few years ago.  And I realized I could combine my love of books, and Jeff’s passion for woodworking and log home living into a memorial project in Jeff’s name by building a Little Free Log Library!Jeff's Birthday was in August and we often try and do a little something to remember and honor him.  I know he would love the idea of little log libraries!
   I approached  our sons with “I have a project idea” and to their credit they didn’t roll their eyes and groan (at least out loud)!  I really needed their  help  and wanted to make this a family project.  They were on board. 
   Next I messaged my friend at the township to see if they were still interested.  The immediate response was Yes! 
   And so the planning began in earnest.  Lists, lots of lists!  (I love lists as much as I love a project!)  I looked at dozens of plans and hundreds of pictures on line to find one I liked and we could work with and modify to make it our own.  I researched prices.  LFL.org strongly encourages using materials on hand when  at all possible and I felt we had a good start with that but, there would be much I would still need to purchase.  I even put out a Lowes coupon request on FB to help with costs and  it was answered!   I asked Jackie (from the Twp. Office) if she thought there may be someone interested in paying for the Charter for the Township library?  I assured her that I would pay for it along with my own charter if needed but, if someone else would be willing to purchase it then that would help. (The Charter purchase is a one time fee ranging from the mid $40’s to mid $70’s depending on the type of sign you choose.  It is required in order to be able to use the name Little Free Library.)  A week later we had a partner J
   And then things really started falling together!  I had a friend that rescued numerous boxes of 
 books from a sad and tragic demise and was saving some for me.  I had been  saving books.  The township had books left from Tot Time and some gardening magazines to donate.  And, the other ladies in the township office were saving books!  Lastly, I have a friend who owns the best little used book store and when I asked her if she would be willing to donate books , she too was eager to help :)  




 
   I spoke with our daughter to see how she and my son in law could contribute to the project from across the country.  I called another friend with an engraving business to enquire about making small plaques with the libraries name, a quote, and “In Memory of Jeff.”  Not only could he do it but he offered to donate the signs!  Another helpful soul suggested calling DeLeeuw lumber to see if they would be willing to help.  Never one to be shy, I did and they immediately agreed!  The project we had started to benefit the community was really turning into a community project!
   The Charters have been purchased. The final plans have been drawn. The lumber list has been sent to DeLeeuw Lumber, my Lowes shopping list is ready, I’ve been to VanWierens Hardware to get quotes on plexi  glass for the doors, and the installation locations for the libraries have been chosen.  We are looking at shopping next week and as soon as we acquire the lumber we can start building!  




   We’d like to invite you all to follow our journey  as we add two more Little Free Libraries to the more than 40,000 around the world!  As we start building, we will post our progress on the official Heartland Little Free Libraries Face Book page.  We'd also like to ask for your help in spreading the word about the libraries! If you feel moved to like, follow, and share our page, we would be very grateful!  We’d love to get the word out about two new libraries opening soon and are hoping that once they are open they will be well visited and loved by readers of all ages!  We have some fun ideas to incorporate into the libraries and information on LFL will be shared via our FB page. Please find us on Face Book at Heartland Little Free Libraries  :)



 Happy Reading my friends!
(((Hugs)))
  Brenda 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment