Friday, February 13, 2015

Thoughts from a "Singleton" in February (Its probably not what you're thinking! Or, maybe it is :) )







I hung my wreath on the door :)



   This week I have become increasingly aware of the fact that we have once again arrived at a time of the year that it seems many people would like to avoid.  I’m not talking about the cold, cabin fever inducing February weather, tax season or Friday the 13th!  I’m talking about Valentine’s Day. 
Since the beginning of time there have been “couples”, “pairs”.  Adam and Eve, Noah, the Ark and the animals all paired up.  People, we’ve been thinking this way forever!   It is natural.  We are social creatures! (most of us anyway, lol!  :)
   Being on Face Book,  following blogs,  and being a member of a closed group for younger widows and widowers; I have seen an amazingly high number of posts  this week from  people wishing they could “sleep through the day” or skip it in some way.  In reality, neither are very good options (in my opinion) and the day is going to come anyway!
   Those of us “singletons” are single for a variety of reasons.  Some by choice, others not.  Some of us are widowed, some divorced (or broken up), and some choose to be single.  But, in February, everything is coming up roses .   And hearts.   And  chocolate.  And couples. And, well you get the idea!  Let's face it, all of the advertising ,store displays, promotions etc.  are all geared towards couples.  And the advertising  would not be as effective  if they were geared towards singletons. (Watch any ad and take out the couple and replace them with a singleton.  Yup. It's just not the same!  Right?!?)   This is certainly not done as a purposeful slight (by the advertisers) to anybody who is not part of a couple, but for those who are most vulnerable it can seem as though they are being obviously excluded.  And I am seeing a lot of very vulnerable people on line this week, expressing everything from sadness to anger towards their friends, co-workers, advertisers, pretty much anyone who is happy about the holiday!  This saddens me.  I wish I could help. I wish I could send you all a Valentine!  (so maybe this blog post is kinda like a Valentine?)
   Now, I have to say, everyone grieves (whatever your loss, whatever your reason) in their own way and their own time.  And if you  really, really need to just crawl under the covers and truly try and sleep the day away, go for it!  Sometimes that is exactly what you need!  But for those who are looking for an alternative…  I have a few suggestions.    First, choose to view the day in a broader sense.  Yes, Valentine’s Day  is a “romantic” holiday and all the advertising points to this!  But, Valentine’s Day  isn’t just about “romantic love”, it’s about love, like, and appreciating others.  Take the focus off  the almost always romanticized advertising and promotions, broaden your view of the holiday, widen your scope, and include whoever you  want to show you appreciate them!  I love my kids and my friends, I appreciate them and  choose to celebrate them!  (Whoa, novel idea right!?!)  So go ahead, send them a Valentine!  I made Valentines for my book club besties and my kids  :) Do something nice for someone else, it will make you feel great!  I did a few “paying it forward” kinds of things this week  and it truly makes me very happy to think how these things may make someone else feel.  That’s a natural high!  :)

I had fun making my Valentines for my book club besties and my kids (and "snack bags" for me!)!




   And now, for the really “way out there” idea I have!   Be your own Valentine!!!  I give you permission!  (Like you need that, lol!)   We should all be our own Valentine  first anyway! We can only be as good to others as we are to ourselves!   Only you can make make yourself  happy!   Someone else can enhance your happiness but, you need make yourself happy first!    So I say, be nice to yourself. Be your own Valentine!  Wear red and wear it proudly this Valentine's Day!  Pour yourself a good glass of wine or a cup of coffee. Buy yourself some good chocolate or flowers!  Or, both!  Indulge in a sappy movie or a funny movie or an action movie or a good book!  Get a pedicure!  Be Nice to You!  You’re worth it!   
   Tomorrow, I will be working and I’m sure I will see many couples and singletons  among our customers.  I will wear red and sincerely wish each and every one a Happy Valentine’s Day!    And after work, I will probably enjoy some pizza and a glass of a really nice red wine!  I will watch a movie (Love Actually, a romantic comedy) and do some late night  reading.  I bought myself flowers and yes, I have some nice chocolate and some leftover raspberry meringue hearts in the house.  I will give Bear and Nick an extra treat.  I will Celebrate Valentine’s Day!  :)

 
I love fresh flowers :)

Raspberry Meringue hearts, leftover from book club!



   Please consider this my Happy Valentine’s Day wish to all of you!  Celebrate the day. Celebrate others!  Celebrate you!  (You do love, like and appreciate the wonderful, unique individual that you are, right?!?  Then Celebrate!)  And…
Wait for it…
Wait…
Come on!  You know by now what’s coming next, right?!?

“Make every moment count!”

Happy Valentine’s Day!

(((Hugs)))
Brenda
  







No comments:

Post a Comment